Got some leftover Christmas ham? Turn it into a tasty home bone soup.
This effortless recipe is filled with ham, beans, and vegetables. Just throw everything in the slow cooker and let it work its magic.
An Easy Soup for a Leftover Ham Bone
We love soups around the holidays and this ham bone soup tops the list.
- This ham bone vegetable soup recipe is easy to make.
- No need to run to the store; you probably have all the ingredients already!
- Add the ingredients to your CrockPot (or Instant Pot) let it do its thing
- This recipe can also be cooked in a dutch oven on the stovetop or in an Instant Pot.
- This recipe can be frozen for quick meals.
Ingredients in Ham Bone Soup
Broth: Use broth (or broth and water) to create the liquid base for this ham bone soup recipe. You can also add in leftover gravy or homemade turkey or chicken stock to boost the flavor. Ham is salty so be sure to use low-sodium or no-sodium broth.
Beans: Canned beans make this easy but you can certainly rehydrate and cook dried beans if you prefer.
Vegetables: Fresh or frozen vegetables can be added. Use vegetables you have leftover from your turkey dinner, such as sweet potatoes, green beans, peas, corn, carrots, squash, and more. If they’re already cooked, stir them in for the last 30 minutes of cooking to heat through so they don’t get mushy.
Other Uses For a Leftover Ham Bone
- Remove most of the meat from the bone to use in leftover ham recipes. but leave a little on the bone for flavor.
- Save the bone in the freezer until you’re ready to make soup (use right from frozen).
- Before serving, remove the bone from the soup and pick off any remaining meat. Add the meat back to the soup and discard the bone.
- Note: the bone should not be used for more than one soup as it won’t have enough flavor left.
How To Make Ham Bone Soup
This is the best ham bone soup, and since it is made in a slow cooker, all you really need to do is a tiny bit of prep.
- Dice, chop and slice your veggies.
- Add all ingredients to the slow cooker and cook until the vegetables are tender.
- Remove meat from the bone and add it back into the soup.
It really is one of the simplest soups you will ever make. Enjoy!
Hearty & Savory Soups
Did you enjoy this Ham Bone Soup? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Ham Bone Soup (Slow Cooker)
A ham bone is slow cooked with veggies like potatoes, carrots, corn, and beans. Serve it with some easy dinner rolls for the perfect meal!
Cook the onion in butter in a small skillet over medium heat until slightly softened.
Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker.
Cover and cook on high for 6 hours or on low for 9-10 hours.
Remove ham bone, bay leaves and thyme stems (if using fresh thyme).
Chop meat from the bone and add back into the soup. Stir and serve.
- The size of your ham bone or the amount of meat on the bone can add more or less flavor.
- Use a smoked ham hock if you don’t have a ham bone.
- Add leftover gravy or homemade stock for extra flavor.
- Replace canned beans with soaked beans. This will increase the cooking time.
- Add leftover vegetables from your turkey dinner, such as sweet potatoes, green beans, peas, corn, carrots, squash, during the last 30 minutes of cooking time.
- The ham bone should not be used for more than one soup
- Store leftovers in the fridge in a covered container for up to 4-5 days. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
Calories: 189 | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 21mg | Sodium: 574mg | Potassium: 512mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 4070IU | Vitamin C: 13.3mg | Calcium: 75mg | Iron: 3.6mg
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Originally posted 2023-01-01 19:36:42.