Make the most of your seasonal strawberry haul with The Best Summer Strawberry Recipes! I’ve rounded up my favorite strawberry desserts and sweet summer recipes that I can’t wait for you to try.
Hunting for more easy dessert ideas featuring summer’s best ingredients? Check out my Best Lemon Desserts, next!
22 Strawberry Desserts to Make This Summer
Are you ready? Because I’m about to sweeten up your summer! It’s strawberry season, and that means strawberry desserts. I’m slowly finding ways to work fresh, flavorful strawberries into all my baking these days. Zero regrets! Naturally, I’ve rounded up some of my favorite summer strawberry recipes to inspire you to do the same.
These summer desserts are loaded with enough strawberries to make any berry lover swoon. From strawberry cakes to cool and creamy frozen treats, pies, strawberry shortcake, and more delicious recipes, there are so many ways to transform seasonal strawberries into the BEST desserts. These recipes have you covered from Memorial Day until Labor Day, all summer long.
I’ve also thrown in some of my best tips for choosing the ripest strawberries when they’re in season, how to store them, and even how to freeze them!
Why You’ll Love These Strawberry Recipes
In case you couldn’t tell, I’m berry excited about the strawberry season. Here’s why you’ll love these recipes:
- Easy to make. Who doesn’t love a dessert that tastes amazing, that’s also stress-free? These strawberry recipes keep it simple while oozing fresh summer flavors in every bite.
- Vibrant flavors. The ripest strawberries bring all sorts of delicious sweetness and freshness to these easy dessert ideas. Not to mention a pop of rosy color!
- Perfect for summer. Strawberries are a surefire sign that summer is here. Take these desserts along with you to cookouts, parties, or make them just because. These are the perfect recipes to satisfy your sweet tooth all season long.
When Are Strawberries in Season?
So, what are the best months for strawberries? For most of the US, strawberries are in peak season from mid-May to early June. This of course can vary a bit depending on which part of the country you’re in. As soon as berry season arrives, you best believe I’m first in line at my local farm stall.
How to Pick Strawberries at the Store
Get in, we’re going strawberry shopping! But how do you know if you’re picking the right berries? Below are my tips for choosing the very best strawberries:
- Color and Plumpness: Look for bright, plump berries that are red from top to bottom. Unlike some other fruits, strawberries don’t ripen after they’re picked. If the strawberries have a lot of yellow and green shading, they’ll stay that way and won’t be as sweet. And if the berries look dry or shriveled at all, give them a pass.
- Leaves: Fresh green leaves = fresh strawberries. Dry, wilted leaves indicate that the berries were picked a while ago.
- Signs of Mold: It probably goes without saying, but if any of the strawberries are moldy, it’s best to pick another box. Mold means that the berries are going bad, even if some of them aren’t spoiled just yet.
How to Store and Freeze Fresh Strawberries
Now that you’ve selected the best strawberries of the bunch, make sure you store them properly. It’s easy to do:
- Store: Store your strawberries in the fridge until you’re ready to wash and eat them. It’s best to leave strawberries whole and unwashed when you store them so that they aren’t exposed to moisture. To prolong the life of your fresh strawberries, store them in a single layer inside an airtight container lined with a paper towel. Properly stored strawberries can last in the fridge for a week (or sometimes longer).
- Freeze: Fresh strawberries can be frozen either whole or chopped. Before you freeze your berries, remove the stems, then flash-freeze the berries on a baking sheet. Once solid, transfer the frozen berries to a freezer bag or airtight container. They’ll stay fresh for up to 6 months. Frozen strawberries are perfect to use in everything from smoothies to pies.
- Wash: Place your fresh berries into a colander and give them a good rinse under cold water before you eat them.
My Favorite Strawberry Recipes
Below you’ll find all my best, brightest strawberry desserts and flavorful, summery treats made with my favorite berry.
Strawberry Sheet Cake
We’re kicking things off with this soft and moist strawberry cake that’s made for feeding a crowd. This is an easy sheet cake recipe made totally from scratch, right down to the creamy icing.
Krispie Treat Ice Cream Pie
This refreshing strawberry ice cream pie is what summer dreams are made of. Cool and creamy like an ice cream cake, set inside a crunchy Rice Krispie treat crust and topped with fluffy whipped cream.
Matcha Cake With Strawberry Frosting
This soft and buttery matcha cake is smothered in rich and creamy homemade strawberry frosting. It’s the perfect combination of earthy green tea flavors and bright, fruity strawberries.
Strawberry Lemon Icebox Pie
This easy icebox pie recipe made with fresh strawberries and lemon is my go-to make ahead dessert for summer BBQs, and then some. It’s the ultimate no-bake dessert that’s absolutely bursting with citrus and berry flavors.
Fresh Strawberry Bread
You can use fresh or frozen strawberries to make this easy strawberry bread, but it’s one of my favorite recipes to make when strawberries are in season! This quick bread recipe is tender and moist, with bright pops of berries throughout, drizzled with sweet strawberry cream cheese icing.
These strawberry brownies have all the flavor of a chocolate-covered strawberry wrapped up in a delicious dessert bar! Made from fudgy brownies covered in a thick layer of strawberry frosting, finished off with rich homemade chocolate ganache.
Strawberry Pound Cake
Bake your fresh strawberries right into this moist strawberry pound cake! This is the perfect summer twist on a classic bundt cake recipe. Bring this pound cake along to BBQs, picnics, and parties. It’s guaranteed to disappear!
Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cheesecake
Imagine that your favorite creamy cheesecake married a chocolate covered strawberry. You’ll get this classic cheesecake topped with vanilla mousse, fresh strawberries, and a generous drizzle of melted chocolate. It’s a love for the ages!
Easy Strawberry Syrup
Make your own homemade strawberry syrup that rivals anything you’ll find in your favorite ice cream parlor! I’ll never run out of summer desserts to drizzle with sweet strawberry sauce.
Strawberry Buttermilk Muffins
Tangy buttermilk and fresh strawberries are a match made in baking heaven. Whip up a batch of these easy strawberry muffins and enjoy them for breakfast or dessert.
Strawberry Shortbread Bars
These shortbread bars are my lazy girl’s version of a thumbprint cookie, filled with ribbons of sweet strawberry jam. These cookie bars taste even better when I get my hands on fresh strawberry jam from my local famer’s market.
Strawberry Pop Tart Cake
This cake is a strawberry Pop Tart extravaganza, and you’re all invited. It’s made with layers of moist vanilla cake filled with strawberry jam, smothered with frosting and loaded up with real Pop Tarts!
This skillet strawberry buckle recipe is tender and rich on the inside, crisp on the outside, topped with a buttery crumble. It’s an easy variation of a coffee cake that’s ultra-moist and bursting with fresh summer strawberries.
I’ll make this berry crisp with any berry, but strawberries are a must when in season! It’s the perfect easy dessert to bring to summer BBQs and it’s always the first to vanish from the baking dish. Enjoy a scoop with strawberry ice cream!
Strawberry Sweet Cream Rolls
These sweet cream rolls are a strawberries-and-cream spin on ooey-gooey sticky buns. They’re made from buttery pastry rolled up around strawberry cream cheese, amped up with real strawberries. It’s the ultimate breakfast treat smothered in sweet vanilla glaze!
Pound Cake Trifle
This easy yet impressive pound cake trifle recipe is the perfect dessert to make in berry season. It’s giving red, white, and blue dessert vibes for the 4th of July, don’t you think? The freshest, ripest strawberries are a must!
Chocolate Dipped Strawberry Cheesecake Sandwiches
These strawberry cheesecake sandwiches are an easy treat to whip up, no baking needed! I make these with strawberry cream cheese smeared between two crunchy graham crackers with strawberry preserves, then dip the whole thing in chocolate (because, why not?).
Roasted Strawberry Buttercream
Roasting fresh ripe strawberry slices takes their sweet flavors to a whole ‘nother level. Then it’s just a matter of blending them up and combining the puree with butter and powdered sugar for the ultimate strawberry buttercream frosting!
Company Strawberry Shortcake
I couldn’t have a list of strawberry desserts without including my mom’s retro company strawberry shortcake. This recipe is perfect for feeding a hungry crowd at your neighborhood cookout. Who can resist tender shortcake topped with fluffy whipped cream and strawberries? No one.
Berry Slab Pie
This summer berry slab pie is packed with a juicy medley of seasonal strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries for the ultimate sunshine-filled slice. Serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream that melts over the buttery crust. You won’t be disappointed.
Angel Food Cake with Wine Soaked Berries
I think maybe the only thing better than fresh, ripe strawberries is fresh strawberries soaked in my favorite white wine! Serve them as the topping for this light and fluffy angel food cake (and don’t forget the whipped cream).
Looking for even more summer desserts and seasonal recipes? Find tons of ideas using my recipe finder!
PIN for later: